The Webdoc compares popular TV streaming devices: Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Amazon Fire TV and Roku.
Streaming internet broadcast to your television is growing in popularity. Netflix and Hulu Plus are great additions to any cable package to provide on-demand episodes of your favorite shows. But with all of the options out there, which streaming device should you invest in? Let me go over a few of the popular choices with you:
- Apple TV – one of the first streaming devices, this product has been around since 2007. This is great if you already have an iTunes account on another device because you can sync your purchases with Apple TV. With Apple AirPlay you can also stream the contents of your MacBook or iPad straight to your television. At $100, it is one of the more costly streaming options but not nearly as expensive as other Apple Gadgets.
- Google Chromecast – this one is quickly gaining in popularity because of itâ??s moderate price and small size. Chromecast is the size of a USB drive and costs only $35. You can send anything displayed in your Google Chrome browser to Chromecast including Netflix, Hulu Plus, or other streaming sites.
- Amazon Fire TV – this is the latest addition to the world of streaming gadgets and by far the most powerful. It runs a modified version of Android and is compatible with Amazon Prime, Instant Video, Amazon Music and Kindle. This streaming device also includes easy-to-use voice search with a built in microphone. At $100, it is not any more expensive than its competitors and all the more advanced.
- Roku – another compact streaming device, this one is about the size of a USB drive. Roku also has models that are compatible with older TVs, if you do not have an HDMI port. This has all the streaming capabilities as the other devices and also some popular games like Angry Birds. With prices ranging from $50-$80 it is another great lower cost option.
As streaming television grows in popularity, I hope this helps you find the best device for your family and your budget.
The following two tabs change content below.
Peter "WebDoc" Martin
Founder & President at Cactus Sky Digital
A digital marketing expert nationally recognized as the â??webdoc,â? and is the technology correspondent for ABC 7 News and SNN6 where he provides technology advice, website reviews and product news.
Latest posts by Peter "WebDoc" Martin (see all)
- The Yelp Check In Feature - February 22, 2019
- Climbing - September 29, 2015
- Still on the Zip Line - September 29, 2015